Serves 6-8 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
16 extra-large white mushrooms
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons Marsala wine
3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
6 scallions, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup panko crumbs
3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms, chop finely and set aside. Place mushroom caps in bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and Marsala. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, crumble it, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it’s browned.
4. Add chopped mushroom stems, cook 3 minutes. Add scallions and garlic, cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add panko crumbs and mascarpone, cook until creamy.
5. Turn off heat, stir in parmesan, parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
6. Fill each mushroom with sausage mixture. Arrange on large baking dish and cook 50 minutes.