Serves 2-4 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minute
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, chopped in thin slices
32 oz. mushroom or vegetable broth
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, split into two equal servings
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
Tips & Notes
Mix up your mushrooms to add more texture and flavor. Chop up your favorites and add them to the mix.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, a pinch of salt and mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, in a separate, smaller pot, add the mushroom broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return to mushrooms, stir frequently and cook until slightly browned, about three minutes
- Add the diced shallot. Let cook for 1 minute then add the arborio rice, lemon zest and juice. Stir and let cook for about 2 minutes, until the rice turns a pale, golden color.
- Pour in the wine, stirring frequently, until wine is fully absorbed.
- Add ½ cup of the mushroom broth to the rice. Stir frequently until broth is absorbed.
- Continue to add ½ cup of broth at a time, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15- 20 minutes until rice is soft.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and add in final 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.